The Crook Boss is a troop obtained after achieving level 30, or by purchasing the Crook Boss game pass for 400 Robux. It wears a business suit and wields a Tommy Gun that comes with a magazine.
The Crook Boss is a well-rounded tower good for early- late game. It can potentially produce unusually high DPS for its total cost with assistance from the units it spawns. The total price to upgrade this tower to the max level is $16,200. Its DPS at max level without any minions is 60, (80 with Golden skin). There is a cap of 6 Crook Bosses for each player.
After Level 4, it gains the ability to summon Crooks or Mafia (depending on its level), with a Spawntime of 60 seconds. These units spawn from the end and travel along the path to the spawn, similar to the Military Base. If a unit is hit by an enemy, they lose health and can potentially die. Since units only die if an enemy walks into them (or they walk the whole map), the damage from Crooks/Mafia can stack up with good wave management and liberal usage of Freezers.
- This tower is great for early defense as you can place one down really early and quickly upgrade it.
- Crook Boss used to have one of the highest effective DPS values in the game until Sentry was added in the 8/2/19 update. (This was mainly due to its spawns adding 50 DPS each at the time.)
- If you manage your money correctly, it is possible and relatively easy to get it to level 3 before/on wave 13 and quickly take out Hiddens/Ninjas.
|0||Crook Boss||Platinum: +20% Damage (passive buff)
Golden: +40% Damage (passive buff)
|1||Stronger Bullets|| +1 Damage
Cosmetic: Adds a fedora to the Crook Boss.
|2||Detect Hiddens|| +2 Range
0.8 > 0.5 Firerate
Cosmetic: The Crook Boss wears sunglasses.
|3||Drum Mag|| +2 Range
0.5 > 0.275 Firerate
Cosmetics: The original magazine is changed in to a drum magazine
|4||Bodyguards|| +2 Damage
Spawns a Crook every 60 seconds
Cosmetic: The Crook Boss keeps a briefcase on his back.
|5||CEO of Crime|| +2 Range
0.275 > 0.15 Firerate
Crook is upgraded to Mafia
Cosmetic: The Crook Boss gets new hair and sunglasses, puts on a shiny smile, and dual wields guns.
|4||Crook||Spawns every 60 seconds. Automatically stops to attack enemies within range.||25||2||0.40||13||5|
|5||Mafia||Spawns every 60 seconds. Automatically stops to attack enemies within range.||50||3||0.20||15||15|
- This is the first tower to have a gamepass, to be able to spawn units (tied with the Military Base) and attack at the same time, as well as the first tower to be unlocked on a certain level.
- This is one of the nine towers that cannot be bought with Coins.
- The tower is a reference to the Mafia City meme ("That's how Mafia works"). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0VgfuBw8SQ
- This is also one of the 5 towers that gets a Golden skin, the other 4 being Pyromancer, Minigunner, Cowboy and Scout.
- The Crook Boss's Golden skin increases the tower's Damage by +40% and turns Crooks/Mafias into Golden Crooks/Golden Mafias.
- The gold skin will affect the Crook Bosses Crooks and Mafia’s with higher health and gold color.
- This is one of 3 towers that has a platinum skin, the other two being Pyromancer and Minigunner.
- This platinum skin increases the damage of this tower by 20%.
- (??/??/19) Added to the game. Units initially spawned only at the start of each wave.
- (07/14/19) Crook Boss placement nerfed to 4.
- (07/27/19) Lv. 3 glitch where the range was not given was fixed.
- (08/01/19) Upgrade costs increased, lowered overall fire rate, and removed hidden detection.
- (08/02/19) Hidden detection added to Level 3
- (10/13/19) Nerfed crook boss minions
- Placement limit raised from 4 to 6.
- Added Golden skin. Initially, the skin had no effect on gameplay (?).
- Units (Crooks and Mafia) no longer spawn at the start of each wave. Instead, they now have a Spawntime of 60 seconds.
- On maps with more than one path, level 4+ Crook Boss now spawns two units, one for each path. (Formerly, only the right path received a unit.)
- Crook Boss now gains Hidden Detection at level 2 rather than level 3.
- Level 3 > 4 Upgrade: +2 > +1 Damage
- Level 4 Ability: Crook 1 renamed to Crook.
- Damage: 4 > 2
- Level 5 Ability: Crook 2 renamed to Mafia.
- Damage: 10 > 2
- HP: 45 > 10
- (10/14/19) General fixes to units:
- Fixed units not giving you cash when they shoot
- Fixed units not following the correct path on certain maps
- (10/18/19) Buffed Golden skins [+10% Damage effect added to Golden skin (?)]
- (10/27/19) Buffed golden skins even more so changes are more noticeable [+10% > +25% Damage from Golden skin]
- (11/9/19) Buffed Crook Boss minion lvl.2 damage [2 > 3 Mafia Damage]
- (12/8/19) Buffed Golden Minigunner and Crook Boss [+25% > +40% Damage from Golden skin]
- (1/12/20) Buffed Crook Boss
- Base Stats: $450 > $600 Starting Cost; 1 > 2 Damage; 0.65 > 0.8 Firerate
- Level 0 > 1 Upgrade: $400 > $275 Cost
- Name changed from "Gamer Fedora" to "Stronger Bullets"
- Image changed
- Level 1 > 2 Upgrade: 0.5 > 0.6 Final Firerate; $650 > $500 Cost
- Name changed from "Epic Shades" to "Detect Hiddens"
- Level 2 > 3 Upgrade: 0.275 > 0.3 Final Firerate; $2,000 > $1500 Cost
- Level 3 > 4 Upgrade: $4,500 > $4,000 Cost
- Name changed from "Intelligence" to "Bodyguards"
- Level 4 > 5 Upgrade: Name changed from "Lv. 100 BOSS" to "CEO of Crime"
- Level 4 Ability: 10 > 25 Crook HP; 13 > ?? Crook Range
- Level 5 Ability: 15 > 50 Mafia HP: 15 > ?? Mafia Range
- Mechanics: On double entrance maps, only one crook will spawn and will go down a random path
- (3/4/20) Nerfed Crook Boss
- Base Stats: $600 > $650 Starting Cost
- Bug: Lobby incorrectly stats the Starting Cost as $600 instead of $650
- Level 0 > 1 Upgrade: $275 > $300 Cost
- Level 3 > 4 Upgrade: $4,000 > $4,250 Cost
- Level 4 > 5 Upgrade: $8,500 > $9,000 Cost
- New SFX's
- Base Stats: $600 > $650 Starting Cost
- (3/6/20): Crook Boss buffed
- Bugfixes: Corrected Starting Cost shown in the lobby $600 > $650
- Level 1 > 2 Upgrade: 0.6 > 0.5 Final Firerate
- Bug: Still displays as 0.6
- Level 2 > 3 Upgrade: 0.3 > 0.275 Final Firerate
- Bug: Still displays as 0.3