The Cowboy is a special tower you get from triumphing Badlands (or End Of The Line, which is currently unavailable) on Normal, Hard or Insane Mode. It was added on 6/29/2019, in the 4th of July Update.
The Cowboy wields a Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum as its initial weapon. It has yellow arms and head, tan torso, and brown legs. A black cowboy hat rests on top of its head.
Cowboy is a potent tower for the middle waves of a game, having similar cost efficiency to Minigunner but trading range for higher DPS (thanks to its level 5 ability) and much cheaper Hidden Detection. The tower's DPS at max level is 60 (90 with Wildest of the West, and around 106 with Wildest of the West and John's Gorilla Sounds), and it costs $14,625 to place and upgrade to max level.
The Golden Cowboy was a golden variant revealed by BelowNatural on the Tower Defense Simulator Discord. Unlike the golden skins, it doesn't have golden clothing but is a normal reskin of the Cowboy. It seems to use a Desert eagle as a secondary for 5 attacks straight and then uses a Lever-action rifle to shoot the zombies.
- The Cowboy's long firerate at low levels can cause the tower to lose a significant chunk of DPS if it is allowed to overkill weak zombies such as Speedy and Quick. For increased efficiency in early game, set Cowboy to "Strongest" targeting, especially when splash towers are also being fielded.
- As of 11/25/19, this troop is not as effective against the Fallen King boss due to his increase in Shield usage, so it is not as useful end-game as it used to be.
- Cowboys have high DPS through levels 3 to 5 which is great for draining health from high health zombies from pre to end game. It is best to pair this troop up with the Enforcer. Enforcers will pack a punch and weaken the zombie, Thus, letting the Cowboy finish them off. Upgrade your Cowboy often for maximum damage on zombies.
|0||Cowboy||Golden: +25% Damage, +15% Range (passive buff)||$650||4(Basic)
|1||Improved Handling|| +3 Range
Cosmetic: The Cowboy puts on a pair of sunglasses and gloves.
|2||Wanted|| +2 Damage
1.65 > 1.2 Firerate
Cosmetic: The Cowboy wears a red bandanna around its neck.
|3||Bandito|| +4 Damage
1.2 > 1 Firerate
Cosmetic: The Cowboy wears a black vest and puts a black bandanna over its face.
|4||Dual Wield|| +8 Damage
1 > 0.55 Firerate
Cosmetic: The Cowboy puts on a bandolier and wields a second revolver.
|5||Gold Rush|| -9 Damage
0.55 > 0.15 Firerate
Cosmetic: The Cowboy now operates a gatling gun.
|5||Wildest of the West||Increases the Cowboy's damage by +50% for 10 seconds. Stacks with John's Gorilla Sounds ability.||Free||30 Seconds|
- The Cowboy is the first tower to be achieved for free by doing a non-event map.
- The Cowboy is currently the only tower that has a damage-reducing upgrade.
- The ability "Gold Rush" was changed to "Wildest Of The West", which is the same ability but for free and does not give you money for killing zombies anymore.
- This is also one of the 5 towers that gets a golden skin the other 4 being Pyromancer, Crook Boss, Minigunner and Scout.
- (6/29/19): Added to the game. Initially gains the ability Gold Rush at level 5.
- (10/13/19): Tower ability rebalanced:
- Level 4 > 5 Upgrade: Now grants Wildest of the West instead of Gold Rush.
- Level 5 Ability: Name changed from Gold Rush to Wildest of the West.
- No longer grants a 4% chance for shots to generate gold bags for the Cowboy's owner.
- $100 > $0 Cost; 60 > 30 Cooldown; +65% > +35% Damage
- Gorilla Sounds (+30% damage to towers in John's range) now fails to apply to Cowboy while it is buffed by Wildest of the West [change undone in 11/9/19 update]
- (11/9/19): Gorilla Sounds now stacks with Wildest of the West once again.
- (1/12/20): Buffed Cowboy
- Golden Cowboy added to the game (+25% Damage, +15% Range)
- Base Stats: 9 > 11 Range
- Level 5 Ability: : +35% Damage > +50% Damage
- (3/?/20): Buffed Cowboy
- Level 3 > 4 Upgrade: 0.65 > 0.55 Final Firerate
- Bug: Upgrade incorrect displays the change of firerate to 0.65